yahoo-emotions

10 years of YMessenger and friends

Posted on June 21, 2008

I don’t know about you, but I have Ymess since 1998. So that makes approximately 10 years … OMG, until I wrote these words, I did not even realize so much time passed by …

As time went by, I became more and more flooded with people in my messenger list… people who I did not know how to classify anymore… Business, friends, different work places, university … sometimes I have personal friends that I do business with and have done university with … :) that is a challenge.

I know some people have the guts to just delete from their list anyone they have not spoken with in 3 months … I could not do that … so right now I have in my Ymess list 329 ids, categorized into 12 groups. The most relevant groups are only 4, with a total of 56 people…

Hey, Yahoo messenger Project Manager guy :) … if you are interested in what the consumer would need, please take into considerations these things:

• first, groups should have the possibility to include other groups as well
  • secondly, any contact should have something like tags associated. So when I want to see all business partners, I could see them no matter of what group I’ve listed them in (that would happen, of course, if I correctly and completely tagged my contacts in the Yahoo Messenger list)

Anyway, I do not know how things were possible before, when there was no IMessagging … my entire professional life was accompanied by YM … so I still remember how I was 1 meter away from my colleague, yet, instead of turning to him to tell him something, I would just write on messenger … :) life is beautiful!

What Others Are Saying

1. Ruschi June 27, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Dear, acquaintance … thank you so much for your answer, the video you posted will definitely help me ease my pain :D in what regards mail messages (that are in their thousands right now ) my follow-ups are only 10 max 20 …

as to the messenger list, I seem to have this problem with letting people go. It’s like I need to still have their contacts … who knows when I’d like to tell them something … probably never, you would say, and it might be true … but, hey, I am doing an NLP practitioner training, I will address this “hard to let go” problem that I seem to have with regards to long lost contacts :)

thanks for your input, and for your very very sharp observation – I was only available to one contact and that says a lot about whom I really communicate with from that immense list.

Ruschi

2. Mihai Constantinescu June 23, 2008 at 12:49 pm

where am i? :)

3. Ruschi June 23, 2008 at 12:49 pm

hihii … you’re under the Circle of Life … that’s where all my good friends are

4. unnknown June 24, 2008 at 12:51 pm

i’ve also deleted almost my entire mess list, taking into account i use a different instant messaging client. i have also deleted blogspot account and tagged and yahoo! 360 degrees one.

5. Ruschi June 25, 2008 at 12:51 pm

wow… now that is a rough decision… I find it hard to do that, because even though with some of them i never get to talk, some contacts are good to keep for the sake of it, some for the moment “when you never know when you might want to tell them something”, others for just the fun…

for instance, i still have 2 or 3 contacts from the very first moments I used Y!M: it was in early 1998 when I used to play bridge online … and these were some of the opponents or partners that I used to play with for like 2 or 3 months until I finished the first year university and got to do other stuff :)

6. unnknown June 25, 2008 at 12:52 pm

and u ‘now what’s odd?! i have deleted them from the list and the haven’t done this yet… curios, but not unexpected.

7. Vijay June 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Well well, Yahoo messenger definitely holds a big place in my heart cos this was my secret getaways for me and my wife(then just an acquaintance over the chat). IMing helped me in meeting the woman of my life, confiding a lot of things with her and of course to keep the conversations short and sweet. To me Ruxi, IMing is the best thing in life, cos its easy, fast and reliable conversation. Of course writing and living in a virtual world but hey who cares, as long as you are not misusing the technology this could be quite a boon. Cheers Ruxi, be free to add me as isabelavijay. Amen

8. acquaintance June 26, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I for one think that keeping contacts just for the sake of it is counterproductive.
    Think of the time you waste just reading their names in search for the one you really want to talk to (by the way, in your screenshot you are available to just 1 contact ;) ).
    It’s like keeping your emails hopping that you will reply some day. Most probably you won’t.

Take a look at: http://www.43folders.com/2007/07/25/merlins-inbox-zero-talk
    It may help with your cleaning.

Cheers

9. CZY June 27, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I tought you alwasy preffered looking me in the eyes :D

10. Ruschi June 27, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Hi Vijay >> I know lots of people that have met through Y!M and are now happily married … sooo :) Y!M, as any other messaging tools, is about communication, what you do with it is only in the boundaries of your own imagination.

CZY >> dearest, I would always love to look into your eyes and chat with you endlessly …. you know that :) … just add your eyes to the messenger profile photo … hihiihiii :D